Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

An eTA is required for all visa-exempt foreign nationals, except United States (U.S.) citizens and certain other small groups. Therefore, it is advisable before proceeding with the travel arrangements to check whether you need an eTA or you are exempt.

Basic requirements to enter Canada

To visit Canada, you’ll need to meet some basic requirements, such as:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport
  • have a valid eTA or visitor visa
  • be in good health
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • convince an border services officer (BSO) that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
  • convince the officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. It depends on things such as how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.)


An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents – for example, a U.S. Green Card. You must convince the officer that you’re eligible for entry to Canada.

Several things can make you inadmissible, including involvement in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.