Open Work Permit

As a foreign national interested in working temporarily in Canada, the first step is to know what type of authorization is required. Individuals may either require a work permit or are authorized by the Regulations. Work permits have different types. An Open Work Permit is one.

The latter allows its holder to work for any employer and in any location on the contrary to the other type, the employer-specific permit, which means the foreign worker has to work specifically for the employer mentioned on the work permit and at the specific location.

Open work permits are issued for individuals in the cases below:

  • Post-Graduation Work Permit
  • International Experience Canada
  • Inland Spousal/Common-Law Sponsorship Open Work Permit
  • Spouse of International Student Open Work Permit
  • Bridging Open Work Permit
  • Open Work Permit for Vulnerable Workers