Visit Visa – Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A Visit Visa, which is also called a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), is normally issued to foreign nationals who meet the requirements to enter Canada. Most travelers can stay by to 6 months, unless otherwise determined by the officer at the Port of Entry (POE).

Before proceeding, you need to make sure whether you need a Visit Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization. This is normally determined based on:

  • the type of travel document
  • the country that issued the travel document
  • Nationality
  • Method of travel to Canada for this trip

Eligibility Criteria

As a visitor, you must meet some basic requirements to get a visitor visa including:

  • have a valid travel document, like a passport
  • be in good health
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • have enough money for your stay depending on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.

You may also need a medical exam and letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.


Some people are not allowed to enter Canada due to inadmissibility. You can be inadmissible for several reasons, including being involved in:

  • Criminal activity
  • Human rights violations
  • Organized crime

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.