Express Entry – Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC)

Another branch of the Express Entry program where skilled workers qualified in specific skilled trades can become permanent residents of Canada.

First, you need to meet the minimum requirements, which are:

  • Proof of language ability of CLB 5 (Canadian Bench Mark) for speaking and listening and CLB 4 for reading and writing
  • Work experience of 2 years of full-time (or equivalent part-time) within the 5 years before submitting the application
  • Job requirement, which is to meet the NOC (National Occupational Classification)
  • Whether having a job offer (full-time, at least for 1 year) OR already have a Certificate of Qualification (Canadian one)

The skilled trades eligible for this program are organized in NOC groups as follows:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

No education requirement is set for this program but definitely having a certificate, diploma or degree enhances the CRS score (Comprehensive Ranking System), which in turn increases your chances of being chosen from the pool of candidates.

A proof of fund is required UNLESS a candidate has a valid job offer already OR is currently able to legally work in Canada.

And finally, one must be admissible to enter and remain in Canada, and based on the province/territory the candidate want to reside in, in case of Québec, other rules apply. Those can be found under Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec website here.

Secondly, and after completing your profile on the Express Entry, you will be placed in the pool of candidates, and based on the CRS points you might be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for the permanent residency within a specific period of time.

Interested in knowing more about the program? You can refer to the Government of Canada website here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s