Permanent residence for caregivers

Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot

As of June 18, 2019, these 5-year pilot programs let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents. Home child caregiver providers and home support workers may be able to apply for permanent residence through these pilot programs if the applicant:

  • meet the eligibility requirements, and
  • have a job offer to work in one of these occupations

The applicant will get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit is occupation restricted, in other words, the individual must work in that specific occupation. A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is not required, however, the caregiver must have been offered a job offer. When the applicant gets the required work experience, he becomes eligible to apply for the permanent residency.

The application process differs based on situation of the applicant and how much work experience he has. The qualifying work experience must be in a full-time job in Canada in one of those National Occupation Classification (NOC):

There are three different ways to apply based on how much work experience you have:

  1. No qualifying work experience in Canada.
  2. Qualifying work experience of less than 24 months (Full-time, in Canada, already working or recently started to work).
  3. Qualifying work experience of 24 months or more in the past 36 months.

Eligibility Requirements

A caregiver may be eligible to apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot, if he:

  • Have a genuine and valid job offer
  • Able to do the job
  • Meet the language level CLB 5
  • Meet the education requirement (at least 1 year of post-secondary education)
  • Is admissible to Canada 
  • Plan to live outside the province of Québec as a permanent resident

Note: If you recently worked as a home child care provider or support worker, your experience may count towards your eligibility for permanent residence.

2 thoughts

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s