Visitor Record – What it means and who needs it.

visitor visa (also known as a temporary resident visa – TRV) is an official document citizens from visa-required countries need to get to travel to and enter Canada as a visitor for up to 6 months. The visa officer sticks it in the passport, which indicates that the person meets the requirements to enter Canada and it includes the date before which he must arrive in Canada.

Moreover, foreign nationals applying for a study or work permit for the first time, they automatically get a visitor visa when their application is approved.

However, a visitor record is a document that a border services officer may issue to extend or restrict the stay of a foreign national in Canada. If the individual wants to stay in Canada for more than 6 months, he has to tell the border services officer.

A visitor record may also be issued to a foreign national after his application to extend his stay or restore his status is accepted. It is issued either by the Canada Border Services Agency CBSA or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada IRCC.

When to apply for a Visitor Record?

A foreign national must apply for this document in the following situations:

  • when first arrive at the port of entry and want to stay longer than 6 months; or
  • when in Canada and decide to stay longer (must apply at least 30 days before the authorized stay in Canada expires).

The Visitor Record is an independent document, not placed in the passport and includes the expiry date for the individual’s stay in Canada (the date by which the person must leave the country).

Interested in knowing more about this stream? Kindly refer to the Government of Canada website here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s