Canada extends and expands open work permit program for Hong Kong residents

February 6, 2023—Scarborough, Ontario

Canada continues to stand by Hong Kong residents and supports the freedom and democracy that are cherished by many. The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced today that Canada is extending and expanding the open work permit program for eligible Hong Kong residents.

Canada is extending the deadline to apply and expanding eligibility to Hong Kong residents who have graduated within the past 10 years from a post-secondary learning institution in Canada or abroad. This means that more Hong Kongers can pursue their career goals and gain valuable work experience in Canada for up to 3 years. Previously, applicants had to have graduated within the past 5 years.

In addition, the Government of Canada has established 2 pathways to permanent residence for eligible Hong Kong applicants and their families. These measures will allow Canada to attract even more skilled individuals, including those who have already acquired work experience, which will help them quickly integrate into Canada’s workforce.

Quick facts

  • The extended deadline for eligible Hong Kong residents to apply for an open work permit is February 7, 2025.
  • Under the Hong Kong open work permit public policy, spouses or common-law partners and dependent children are also eligible to apply for a study or work permit.
  • These measures apply to Hong Kong residents who hold a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or British National (Overseas) passport.
  • This measure aligns with Canada’s recently released Indo-Pacific Strategy. It is a comprehensive roadmap to deepen the engagement in the Indo-Pacific over the next decade, increasing our contributions to regional peace and security, strengthening economic growth and resilience, enhancing our significant people-to-people ties, and supporting sustainable development across the region.
  • Hong Kong residents at risk of persecution who have fled to another country may also be eligible under Canada’s existing resettlement programs, including the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program and the Government-Assisted Refugees Program.

Interested in knowing more? We are here to help. You can contact us here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s