The Government of Canada is applying a temporary measure related to giving biometrics if the applicant is applying from within Canada:
- to extend stay as a student, worker, or visitor
- to restore status as a student, worker, or visitor
- for a work or study permit
- for a visitor visa
- for a temporary resident permit
This applies to all new applications, applications already in progress AND if:
- application form for a work permit, study permit or visitor visa says it is for applicants outside Canada
- online application system asks to pay a biometric fee (CAN$85)
This temporary measure does not apply if the applicant is OUTSIDE Canada.
Applicants do not have to pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application, even if the system tells to do so.
If the applicant paid the fee,
- it will be automatically refunded once the application is finalized
- the online application system will automatically send a biometric instruction letter (BIL) telling the applicant how to give his biometrics
- No need to give biometrics, and the applicant can ignore this letter.