On November 16, 2022, the Canadian government implemented of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 for immigration programs managed under the Express Entry system. Using the new NOC categories will allow Canada to bring in global talent in high-demand sectors like health care, construction, and transportation.
Canada is working to welcome newcomers who bring the skills the economy needs to help address acute labour shortages across the country
Workers from 16 new occupations now eligible for permanent residence. Examples are nurse aides, long-term care aides, hospital attendants, elementary and secondary school teacher assistants, and transport truck drivers who are now included in Express Entry.
The National Occupational Classification NOC system is used to track and categorize all jobs in the Canadian labour market and is updated to reflect changes in the economy and in the nature of work. The changes to the NOC system support the Minister’s commitment to expand pathways to permanent residency for temporary workers and international students, as more jobs will become eligible for the programs managed under Express Entry. Through this update, 16 occupations that were not previously eligible can now benefit from expanded pathways to permanent residency.
Foreign nationals with work experience in the following 16 occupations are now eligible to apply through Express Entry:
- payroll administrators
- dental assistants and dental laboratory assistants
- nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
- pharmacy technical assistants and pharmacy assistants
- elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
- sheriffs and bailiffs
- correctional service officers
- by-law enforcement and other regulatory officers
- estheticians, electrologists and related occupations
- residential and commercial installers and servicers
- pest controllers and fumigators
- other repairers and servicers
- transport truck drivers
- bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators
- heavy equipment operators
- aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
Interested in knowing more about these changes? We are here to help. You can contact us to confirm if you qualify.