Open Work Permit

Inland Spousal/Common-Law Sponsorship Open Work Permit

Foreign nationals being sponsored for Canadian permanent residence by their spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit in case their application is being processed from inside of Canada through the inland spousal sponsorship process. Applicants should ensure that they meet the full eligibility criteria required for the program.

When a foreign national is successful in their work permit application, they will be issued an open work permit authorizing them to work for multiple employers in any location in Canada while their permanent residency application is processing. The application procedure for the spousal sponsorship open work permit varies depending on the applicant’s status in Canada and the stage of their permanent residency application.

Foreign nationals cannot work in Canada without the appropriate authorization. Engaging in any form of employment in Canada without the proper work permit is unlawful can jeopardize future immigration applications.