Open Work Permit

Spouse of International Student Open Work Permit

The spouse or the common-law partner of an International student may be eligible for an open work permit if the student:

  • has a valid study permit and
  • is a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)

Processing an open work permit usually takes several months. There are many factors that can affect the processing time. However, this work permit will be valid for the same period of time as the international student’s study permit.